[arch-general] Good press at distrowatch.com

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Sat Dec 19 16:59:48 EST 2009

On Sat, 19 Dec 2009 22:43:17 +0100
Frédéric Perrin <frederic.perrin at resel.fr> wrote:

> You've never installed Debian/Ubuntu with a preseed.cfg file that
> answer all the questions for you (or, at your option, as many or as
> few questions as you wish)? You've never used FAI (Fully Automated
> Installed) either? (Well, I haven't, but a friend of mine, an Arch
> user, did, and he has only good things to say about its flexibility
> and the ease of setup.)
>
> I love to hate Ubuntu as much as the next guy, but the installer is
> not somewhere where Arch has an advantage. If you want an easy to use
> installer, as David pointed out in further in the thread, you go it;
> if you want to build an ISO that answers all the installer questions,
> you got it; if you want a setup where you can plug a machine, tell it
> to boot over the network, go drink a coffee and go back to a system
> completly installed, you got it.

I have used FAI extensively to mass-install servers.
Don't put words in my mouth: my point was that "point and click"
installers are not necessarily faster then what we have.

BTW: debian/ubuntu installers are complex (in lines of code), especially
if you add fai on top of that, which re-implements a lot of things.

Dieter