[arch-general] Good press at distrowatch.com

Frédéric Perrin frederic.perrin at resel.fr
Sat Dec 19 17:17:32 EST 2009

Le samedi 19 à 22:59, Dieter Plaetinck a écrit :
>> You've never installed Debian/Ubuntu with a preseed.cfg file that
>> answer all the questions for you (or, at your option, as many or as
>> few questions as you wish)? You've never used FAI (Fully Automated
>> Installed) either?
>
> I have used FAI extensively to mass-install servers. Don't put words
> in my mouth: my point was that "point and click" installers are not
> necessarily faster then what we have.

Oh, I understood your original post as "with all its shiny dialogs,
Ubuntu won't let me install a damn OS with minimal human interaction".
Sorry for that. Still, I keep on thinking that debian-install[1] is a
nifty piece of software that does everything you can expect from an
installer.

> BTW: debian/ubuntu installers are complex (in lines of code), especially
> if you add fai on top of that, which re-implements a lot of things.
>
> Dieter

[1] The last time I installed Ubuntu, but that was long ago, it used a
glorified d-i. Make a s/Ubuntu/Debian/ if they no longer use d-i.

--
Fred