[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] Xorg changes / DRM modules

Nezmer at allurelinux.org Nezmer at allurelinux.org
Mon Dec 21 18:17:23 EST 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 11:35:12PM +0100, Andreas Radke wrote:

> libdrm has been updated to 2.4.17 - this is breaking all radeon 3d
> stuff and will require changes in MESA when I understand the
> upstream devs right. Mesa7.7 is expected in a few days anyways and
> should make Radeon 3d stuff working again after a few late commits
> (7.7rc4 doesn't build with new libdrm). Other drivers should still
> work. Please test them.
>
> Radeon kms is still buggy like hell and unusable for my RC410 [Radeon
> Xpress 200M] card. It makes X and the whole system freeze instantly when
> moving windows around or when I try to start 3d apps. Sometimes even
> at Xorg start at all. This has been introduced with 2.6.32
> kernels. Upstream recommends to try the various drm trees:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.video.dri.devel/40626
>
> Any opinions from other ati users what branch is the most stable and
> useful these days? I'm thinking about adding a radeon-drm kernel module
> package to solve the tons of speed and stability issues.
>
> As already written on the closed devel list, I'd like to get help for
> these packages from other devs and community members. Whoever is well
> informed in Xorg/kernel drm development and wants to help to stabilize
> our drivers please contact me.
>
> -Andy

I'm not an expert but I will share my experience anyway.

I follow drm-radeon-testing branch but I think drm-radeon-next is
considered more stable for official packaging. Is shipping an updated
radeon module enough though? I don't think It will work without all the
new drm code.

The KMS code is starting to heavily depend on irq which didn't exist
when 2..6.32 was released. With newer code you will need the
ucode firmware(1). 2.6.32.2 was bugged because of a patch that assumed
the existence of irq.

IMHO, Encouraging people to dasable KMS on official packages is more
sane for now. Those who need the latest and greatest should do it on
their own.

(1) http://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=33016