[arch-general] MAYDAY - drm/mesa/libgl/radeon updates - laptop stuck in 1152x864 - kdm locks on logout!

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Wed Dec 23 04:15:11 EST 2009

On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 03:05 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
> Ouch! Now, I don't know if this happened after the kernel update to
> 26-2.6.32.2-1 or if it just happened tonight with the drm update and
> then downgrade. I can't think of any reason the upgrade/downgrade
> would have done it unless pacman left pieces of something on the
> system.
>
> Regardless, compiz is unusable now. I know for a fact it was working
> last week (slow with the radeon driver, but working). Anybody else see
> a change in direct rendering with the latest kernel? What else to
> check?

I don't know what you did exactly, but to make things clear:
We're back on stable versions without experimental code. This means
there's no 3D support for some newer ATI hardware, but at least the 2D
is stable and usable.
You're on the Mesa software rasterizer now, which does everything in
software. Compiz will be painfully slow with that.