[arch-general] MAYDAY - drm/mesa/libgl/radeon updates - laptop stuck in 1152x864 - kdm locks on logout!

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Dec 23 04:37:38 EST 2009

On 12/23/2009 03:15 AM, Jan de Groot wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 03:05 -0600, David C. Rankin wrote:
>> Ouch! Now, I don't know if this happened after the kernel update to
>> 26-2.6.32.2-1 or if it just happened tonight with the drm update and
>> then downgrade. I can't think of any reason the upgrade/downgrade
>> would have done it unless pacman left pieces of something on the
>> system.
>>
>> Regardless, compiz is unusable now. I know for a fact it was working
>> last week (slow with the radeon driver, but working). Anybody else see
>> a change in direct rendering with the latest kernel? What else to
>> check?
>
> I don't know what you did exactly, but to make things clear:
> We're back on stable versions without experimental code. This means
> there's no 3D support for some newer ATI hardware, but at least the 2D
> is stable and usable.
> You're on the Mesa software rasterizer now, which does everything in
> software. Compiz will be painfully slow with that.

Err, yep slow is a nice way to put it. The question is how do I get back to the usable 2D hardware setup? Should I set KMS back up? I'm up to date with all packages except the mesa/drm/libgl packages I just downgraded 1 version. Everything was great before the  update today and the drm snafu. What's the best way to get back to the config I had 24 hours ago?

I took /var/log/pacman.log and backed out all updates except the kde & gnome printer control center modules (I can't see them being related), but I'm still not back to where I was before the updates. Am I missing something?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC