[arch-general] Virtualbox and Kernel 2.6.32.2-2

Guillermo Leira gleira at gleira.com
Wed Dec 30 07:41:56 EST 2009

> I have just upgraded to this new kernel, and I have a "little" problem: I
> have an i686 Virtual Machine running under VirtualBox, on Windows XP.
Since
> this upgrade, as soon as I enter my password, the system gets completely
> locked.
>
> If I press Ctrl-Alt-F1, I can switch to tty1, but if I get back to login
> screen and try to login, the system locks immediately.
>
> I'm using gnome and GDM. I've been trying to uninstall
virtualbox-utilities,
> reinstall, etc, with no results.

I have managed to completely uninstall virtualbox guest-additions, and now I
can login. After reinstalling guest-additions (the ones that come with
VirtualBox, because the package in community does not seem to work very
well, but this is another history), and some testing, I have discovered that
I can login if I disable gdm in rc.conf and call it from the command line.

Best Regards,

Guillermo Leira