[arch-general] Weird acpid issue

Phuong Vo clarious at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 19:23:35 EST 2009

2009/2/9 Leonid Grinberg <lgrinberg at gmail.com>:
>> Don't laptops do this in hardware? turning off the screen when the lid
>> is closed? (Mine does so).
>> Whyd would you need acpid to control this?
>
> I don't think my laptop does this. If someone has a Dell Inspiron e1505/6400
> and knows how to make it turn off the backlight in hardware, please tell me.

I also have the same problem.

When I was using GNOME, then it worked fine, but after I switched to
xfce then it stopped working, even if I use gnome-power-manager to set
it.

After that, I installed acpid, add a some scripts to /etc/acpid/events
and actions to shutdown the monitor when I close the lid. It didn't
work, I am sure that the script work if I run it explicitly, and
checking acpid log tell me that the script was executed. After I give
up for a few day, it worked again, and after that, it stop working.

My laptop is a Dell Vostro 1500.