[arch-general] Weird acpid issue

Thayer Williams thayerw at gmail.com
Sun Feb 8 22:38:11 EST 2009

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 1:08 PM, Leonid Grinberg <lgrinberg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Don't laptops do this in hardware? turning off the screen when the lid
>> is closed? (Mine does so).
>> Whyd would you need acpid to control this?
>
> I don't think my laptop does this. If someone has a Dell Inspiron e1505/6400
> and knows how to make it turn off the backlight in hardware, please tell me.

You're in luck!  I maintain the acpid package *and* my notebook is a
Dell Inspiron 6400.

I use the default handler.sh file for my stuff, found in /etc/acpi.  I
have the lid closure trigger a suspend-to-ram:

    button/lid)
        #echo "LID switched!">/dev/tty5
        grep -q closed /proc/acpi/button/lid/*/state
        if [ $? = 0 ]; then
            echo -n mem >/sys/power/state
        fi
        ;;

You can easily replace "echo -n mem >/sys/power/state" with any of the
following, depending on your desired result:

    xset dpms force off
    xscreensaver-command -lock
    etc.