[arch-general] Step 3: Configure X- B: Input hotplugging

Paulo Santos paulo.r.santos at sapo.pt
Wed Feb 11 19:20:48 EST 2009

Preston C. wrote:
> I am working on the beginners guide and have read some information on
> input hotplugging, and was wondering if it was really necessary to do
> Step 3- section B in the Beginners Guide?

It's not really necessary, no. Take a look at
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging
Section 6.6 tells you how to turn it off, but I recommend you to read
the introduction part to understand what Xorg input hotplugging is about.

> If so, I don't really understand exactly what commands to run and
> which order to run them? Thank you for any help.

Installing is pretty straight forward.

# pacman -S xf86-input-evdev
# /etc/rc.d/hal start

If you don't use a "us" keymap, you probably have to configure it.

# cp /usr/share/hal/fdi/policy/10osvendor/10-keymap.fdi /etc/hal/fdi/policy/

Then edit it:
<merge key="input.xkb.layout" type="string">YOUR_KEYMAP</merge>

And don't forget: http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging

Paulo Santos