[arch-general] Step 3: Configure X- B: Input hotplugging

Preston C. gprestonc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 19:39:47 EST 2009

> It's not really necessary, no. Take a look at
> http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Xorg_input_hotplugging
> Section 6.6 tells you how to turn it off, but I recommend you to read the
> introduction part to understand what Xorg input hotplugging is about.
>
> Installing is pretty straight forward.
>
> # pacman -S xf86-input-evdev
> # /etc/rc.d/hal start

This where I got stuck. In the Beginners Guide it said to do these
before you start hal:
- usr/sbin/groupadd -g 81 dbus ( this didn't work because it said
there no such file or directory)
- usr/sbin/useradd -c 'System message bus' -u 81 -g dbus -d '/' -s
/bin/false dbus

Are the two steps just mentioned necessary to do before I run,
"/etc/rc.d/hal start"? Will hal startup during boot after running,
"/etc/rc.d/hal start", or do I need to something else?

In the link you gave me it says, "Add the hal daemon to the DAEMONS
array in /etc/rc.conf before anything related to X.Org is started. The
hal daemon will load the dbus daemon automatically." It does not tell
me how though, so I am a little lost on this issue?

Apparently it is best to disable hotplugging (which apparently means
that you can change peripherals while the computer is on) and have hal
(which replaces hotplugging?) boot up at startup? That is the ultimate
goal isn't it? Yes, I am confused a little.

Thanks,
Preston