[arch-general] closed bugs, open comments?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Tue Feb 17 08:06:06 EST 2009

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 10:30:47 +0100
RedShift <redshift at pandora.be> wrote:

> Damjan Georgievski wrote:
> > I find it pretty frustrating that once bugs are closed in
> > http://bugs.archlinux.org/ you can no longer add comments.
> > The only option you have is request re-opening of the bug, which, I
> > guess, would then frustrate the maintainer who closed the bug.
> >
> > Adding comments to already closed bugs makes sense to me, since the
> > *discussion* is almost always not over when it's (too hastily?)
> > closed. Sometimes you want to add comments that strengthens the case
> > for closing the report, which also means the report will not be
> > re-opened in the future. Sometimes you need to supply more
> > information.
> >

> It's a BUG TRACKER, not a FORUM. If you really want to keep
> discussing something further, post it to the mailinglist or the
> forum. You know, the places that were _made_ for discussion? The
> right tool for the right job please!
>
> Glenn

In theory I would agree, but in practice most bugs don't have
corresponding threads on the ML/forums.  Why would you start a new
thread on a different place if you already have a "thread" on the
bugtracker?  It's simpler, more clear and a bugtracker works just fine
for this.

I don't really have time to research right now but on first look I
couldn't find a setting for this.

Dieter