[arch-general] cdrecord instead of wodim

Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar
Tue Feb 17 17:22:23 EST 2009

Joerg Schilling wrote:
> Gerardo Exequiel Pozzi <vmlinuz386 at yahoo.com.ar> wrote:
>

>> Now i tested the latest alpha  version  of cdrecord (
>> cdrtools-2.01.01a57.tar.gz ) and its work perfect without the DMA problem.
>> The version that failed was <= cdrtools-2.01.01a55.tar.gz, with these
>> versions i need to set very low write speed (when i upgraded my DVD
>> writer from PATA to SATA, both LG)
>>

> There always was the documented way to set the environment variable
> "CDR_FORCESPEED" and setting "burnfree" also disables the speed limit.
>
> Now

Ohh OK. Yes, I was aware of the variable "CDR_FORCESPEED" but not
actually used by the warning given by the manual about it. But now it
seems this behavior is by default, am I right? Was unaware of the option
burnfree enable this feature, thanks;)
>> Now inform this: "cdrecord: Warning: The DMA speed test has been
>> skipped." http://djgera.pastebin.com/m35195bbe
>>
>> I prefer to use cdrecord, is the soft that i used for 7 years with my
>> previus distribution (Slackware Linux) and as you said, is updated very
>> often.
>>
>> Thanks for the work! :)
>>

> Thank you
>

>> I take this message to make a consultation, this was one of the major
>> topics of discussion between you and some Linux developers. Does
>> cdrecord: allowing access through  dev=/dev/xyz, or as the message says:
>> "Warning: Open by 'devname' is unintentional and not supported". will be
>> removed in future versions?
>>

> If currently works, but this is not a supported feature and thus it may
> stop working at any time.
>
> I recommend to use the official syntax that is used by libscg since August 1986.
> Note that if you only have one drive, there is no need to specify dev= at all.

It seems to me or I'm wrong?. This syntax requires to work properly
generic scsi module and via /dev/sr0 don't need it?. I did not compile
this (sg) on my system.
But for example if execute:
$ cdrecord dev=ATAPI -scanbus
Cdrecord-ProDVD-ProBD-Clone 2.01.01a57 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C)
1995-2009 Jörg Schilling
scsidev: 'ATAPI'
devname: 'ATAPI'
scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
Warning: dev=ATA: is preferred over dev=ATAPI:.
Warning: Using ATA Packet interface.
Warning: The related Linux kernel interface code seems to be unmaintained.
Warning: There is absolutely NO DMA, operations thus are slow.

This Warning appears. That's why I prefer to use it that way and avoid
problems, and I prefer not to load the module sg, because it loads the
SATA hard drives as generic devices, adding this to the already loaded
scsi disks sd)

Apparently, I have to load the module sg ATA mode to work.

Thanks for the help Jörg. :)

> Jörg

Greetings from Argentina.

--