[arch-general] closed bugs, open comments?

James Rayner iphitus at iphitus.org
Fri Feb 20 06:18:54 EST 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 10:12 AM, Baho Utot <baho-utot at columbus.rr.com> wrote:
> I know the bug tracker is for bugs and not help,  when I used to file bug
> reports I did so because some thing didn't work (for example compiling a
> package under the current arch gcc version).  Yes maybe I didn't fully
> understand the issue.  You can look at your favorite package klibc* :), (
> klibc-udev to be exact) which I did file. (remember we found a flea in
> pacman/makepkg using makeworld with the --log flag).
>
> Although I did not file a bug report for this here is an example
>
> I had opensp that I found a solution for and tried to get my patch applied
> and the response (The way I saw it maybe not as it was intended) was go
> adopt the package followed by a piss off.  Well the package was in extra I
> couldn't adopt it  and I can not fix it in any way.  I the problem still
> exists with opensp.  My intention was to simply get it fixed, all that
> needed to be done was for someone who has access to update the PKGBUILD and
> add the patch which I received from comp.os.linux.misc and it will build. I
> did file a upstream bug report.

No developers are telling anyone to piss off. I'm sure phrakture won't
hesitate to hurl a car/bus/jet at anyone who did.

If you're getting this impression, it's certainly not at all intended.
We're busy, and some of us have a lot of bugs assigned to us. Often
when updating a package there might be multiple bug reports to close,
so it's quite normal to close without a message - this is not intended
as a rude gesture, rather the reality of limited time and energy.

Most of us are human (except Phrak) and we screw up sometimes (except
Allan). If we do close a bug report incorrectly or misunderstand your
issue, that's what the request to re-open option exists for.

If you really disagree and think it's worth discussion, send an email
right to this list _right here_ (this list is the newsgroup you want)
where more people can see it than the handful assigned to the bug
report. It's been done before, nobody complained, and will help
clarify any decision made.

Cheers!
James