[arch-general] Core and Extra repos

Baho Utot baho-utot at columbus.rr.com
Fri Jan 2 15:41:06 EST 2009

On Friday 02 January 2009 01:20:32 pm Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:59:18AM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:
> > Should a goal of ArchLinux be that the core and extra repos build without
> > error.
> >
> > I am rebuilding all the packages from core and some selected packages
> > from extra to take advantage of my processor an AMD Athlon processors,
> > which I use exclusive.
> >
> > I have used makeworld from a make file and there are several PKGBUILDs
> > that do not build or build incorrectly.  Some of the packages fail
> > because of gcc-4.3.2. I have since patched those.

> yet. Make a bug report for each package you found not building in the
> Archlinux bugtracker. Attach patches for the ones you have managed to
> build.
>
> Greg

Ok, I will go through my local copy of core and extra and file the bug
reports, though I don't think I will get a good response as I have filed bug
reports here before and so far I am at zero for a fix or even some one
looking at it.  This is evidence by cpio which I filed a bug report in Oct
2008 and it has set without a dev looking at it.  It has been assigned but
only after I had complained about it.  It also has been validated as a bug by
another user so I know it was not something that has to do with what I am
doing here.

The capi4k-utils package from core is a prime example of a package failing as
it spawns a lot shells locking up the host computer from using all the
resources available.

As far as the up stream go that will take some time as I have found 20+
packages that exibit the problem with gcc 4.3.2.

My intent is to up my local abs every Sunday and run makeworld from cron
to keep my systems current from my custom repos.

Maybe Arch should use something similar where the devs create the PKGBUILDs
placing them on a computer that does nitely builds (make world runs) to
update or keep current the public core and extra repos.