[arch-general] Core and Extra repos

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Fri Jan 2 16:07:51 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 03:41:06PM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:
> On Friday 02 January 2009 01:20:32 pm Grigorios Bouzakis wrote:
> > On Fri, Jan 02, 2009 at 08:59:18AM -0500, Baho Utot wrote:
> > > Should a goal of ArchLinux be that the core and extra repos build without
> > > error.
> > >
> > > I am rebuilding all the packages from core and some selected packages
> > > from extra to take advantage of my processor an AMD Athlon processors,
> > > which I use exclusive.
> > >
> > > I have used makeworld from a make file and there are several PKGBUILDs
> > > that do not build or build incorrectly.  Some of the packages fail
> > > because of gcc-4.3.2. I have since patched those.

> > yet. Make a bug report for each package you found not building in the
> > Archlinux bugtracker. Attach patches for the ones you have managed to
> > build.
> >
> > Greg
>
> Ok, I will go through my local copy of core and extra and file the bug
> reports, though I don't think I will get a good response as I have filed bug
> reports here before and so far I am at zero for a fix or even some one
> looking at it.  This is evidence by cpio which I filed a bug report in Oct
> 2008 and it has set without a dev looking at it.  It has been assigned but
> only after I had complained about it.  It also has been validated as a bug by
> another user so I know it was not something that has to do with what I am
> doing here.

Usuallu the developers wait for an excuse, most of the times,a new
package version, in order to rebuild a package. That reduces packaging
load. Of course that only happens if the bug isnt serious, and affects
not to many users.

> The capi4k-utils package from core is a prime example of a package failing as
> it spawns a lot shells locking up the host computer from using all the
> resources available.

That looks dead upstream. Theres already a lot of patching done by the
developers. eg.
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/capi4k-utils/repos/core-x86_64/capi-compile.patch?view=markup

> As far as the up stream go that will take some time as I have found 20+
> packages that exibit the problem with gcc 4.3.2.

If you actually do report upstream, or find already open reports,
include the link to yoyr Archlinux bug report too.

> My intent is to up my local abs every Sunday and run makeworld from cron
> to keep my systems current from my custom repos.

Thats a nice idea, and an alternative way to contribute back to Arch.