[arch-general] Pointless to use non-md5 for makepkg INTEGRITY_CHECK

Aaron Schaefer aaron at elasticdog.com
Mon Jan 12 18:05:05 EST 2009

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 5:56 PM, Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> wrote:
> It's not so much a preference as it is the fact that we won't be
> gaining much, if anything, from this change, and the change is going
> to take work. Making announcements, changing the official repos over,
> dealing with bug reports, etc etc... it's just work that seems like
> it's for naught.

You wouldn't have to change anything at all except for the
INTEGRITY_CHECK array in makepkg.conf. After the patch that Dan
mentioned has been pushed, current users won't have problems (no
matter what combination of checksums are present in a PKGBUILD), so
the usage of sha256sums would gradually occur as packages are updated
naturally. That's why I specifically said it would be best to make the
change after pacman 3.0 has been released. There's no reason you'd
have to go through the repos and make a sweeping update.

--
Aaron "ElasticDog" Schaefer