[arch-general] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.28.1-1

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jan 19 11:13:41 EST 2009

bardo wrote:
> 2009/1/19 David Rosenstrauch <darose at darose.net>:
>> FYI - I'm seeing a problem with the 2.6.28-3 kernel.  For some reason
>> there's no sound coming out of either the speakers or the headphones on my
>> laptop (Dell Precision M4400) after the upgrade.
>>
>> Sound module is snd-hda-intel.  I checked volume is up, mute is not on, yada
>> yada, but no sound coming out.  Problem goes away as soon as I downgrade the
>> kernel.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this and/or have any idea what the problem might be?
>
> Maybe there's a regression in your soundcard autodetection? Do you
> pass any "model=" parameter to snd-hda-intel in /etc/modprobe.conf?
> Anyway, there have been a couple of commits in that driver, if you
> want you can track them searching for "alsa: hda" in the changelog
> (http://kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ChangeLog-2.6.28.1).
>
> Corrado

Thanks for the info.

No, I don't pass any model parameter, partly because I didn't know about
this parm until recently, and partly because I'm not sure what the
correct value should be.  ("head -n 1 /proc/asound/card0/codec#0" says
"IDT 92HD71B7X", but I'm not sure where to go to look up the model
number from that.)

Will check the change log and see what's of relevance.

Thanks,

DR