[arch-general] [signoff] kernel26 2.6.28.1-1

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Tue Jan 20 07:43:26 EST 2009

David Rosenstrauch wrote:
> bardo wrote:
>> hda-intel, like the infamous ac97, is a widely-used codec, and the
>> kernel module supports a whole lot of different devices. I don't have
>> a lot of time to check right now, but a quick grep on the sources
>> shows your card's support is included in
>> sound/pci/hda/patch_sigmatel.c. From a quick search, the list of
>> possible options can be found here:
>> http://free-electrons.com/kerneldoc/latest/sound/alsa/ALSA-Configuration.txt
>>
>> and your best bet could be dell-m44 (similar to 4400, but marked as
>> Inspiron) or dell-m43 (near to 44 but marked as Precision).
>>
>> HTH,
>> Corrado
>
> Hmmm .... IDT 92HD71B7X actually sounds like it matches more closely to
> one of these:
>
>     STAC92HD71B*
>       ref        Reference board
>       dell-m4-1    Dell desktops
>       dell-m4-2    Dell desktops
>       dell-m4-3    Dell desktops
>
> I'll check them out - thanks.
>
> DR

Hmmm ...

I tried testing this again, loading the module with each of the
dell-m4-* model parameters, in turn, but no joy.

*Some*thing's broken here.  But I'm not enough of a kernel hacker to be
able to figure out what or how to fix it.  There's both a kernel bug and
an ALSA bug about this; I guess I'll follow up there.

DR