[arch-general] KDE 4.2.0 in [testing]

Pierre Schmitz pierre at archlinux.de
Thu Jan 22 20:04:34 EST 2009

Am Freitag 23 Januar 2009 01:19:26 schrieb Dan Vratil:
> Some of my old desktop settings (wallpaper, size of icons etc) were replace
> by KDE 4.2 default settings. But it's probably only about Plasma config,
> because Kopete, KMail and all other applications kept their settings.

Didn't you change the defaults of 4.1? In that case you'll get the new
defaults. If not see next point.

> Also, could please someone confirm me, that KDE 4.1 freezes when updating?
> After some package was updated, Plasma went frozen and I had to shutdown
> the X server and finnish the update from console.

Never update KDE while it is running. 4.1 -> 4.2 is not a minor update and
will break things when you try to update it while its still running.

> There is also problem with plasmoids from AUR. After update, they didn't
> run so I tried to rebuilt them but because of some changes in KDE, any of
> them will compile, but it seems to be a problem in their source codes not
> in PKGBUILDs.

plasmoids are the only exception that I know of that have to be recompiled or
updated for 4.2. Everything else should work fine.

--

Pierre Schmitz

Clemens-August-Straße 76
53115 Bonn