[arch-general] KDE 4.2.0 in [testing]

Dan Vratil progdan at progdansoft.com
Thu Jan 22 20:23:48 EST 2009

On Friday 23 January 2009 02:04:34 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> Am Freitag 23 Januar 2009 01:19:26 schrieb Dan Vratil:
> > Some of my old desktop settings (wallpaper, size of icons etc) were
> > replace by KDE 4.2 default settings. But it's probably only about Plasma
> > config, because Kopete, KMail and all other applications kept their
> > settings.
>
> Didn't you change the defaults of 4.1? In that case you'll get the new
> defaults. If not see next point.
No, I was using my own wallpaper properly set via Desktop settings dialog,
icons resized using configuration somewhere else (maybe some minor config was
just modification of default settings). But it could be caused by the update I
made from running DE.
On the other hand - pacman does not touch ~/.kde4 folder, does it? It is only
used by KDE. The change could be done automaticaly by KDE when I fist logged
in after the update.

> > Also, could please someone confirm me, that KDE 4.1 freezes when
> > updating? After some package was updated, Plasma went frozen and I had to
> > shutdown the X server and finnish the update from console.
>
> Never update KDE while it is running. 4.1 -> 4.2 is not a minor update and
> will break things when you try to update it while its still running.
>
> > There is also problem with plasmoids from AUR. After update, they didn't
> > run so I tried to rebuilt them but because of some changes in KDE, any of
> > them will compile, but it seems to be a problem in their source codes not
> > in PKGBUILDs.
>
> plasmoids are the only exception that I know of that have to be recompiled
> or updated for 4.2. Everything else should work fine.
That's pitty - wifi signal strength meter was my favourite and now it's not
working :-)

--
Dan Vrátil
progdan at progdansoft.com