[arch-general] Moonlight 1.0

Vesa Kaihlavirta vpkaihla at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 05:19:29 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Denis Alessandro Altoe Falqueto
<denisfalqueto at gmail.com> wrote:

> Funny you say that... Looking over the Moonlight homepage, there is
> the Microsoft covenant for not sueing who uses it. The first paragraph
> is very "interesting":
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/interop/msnovellcollab/moonlight.mspx
>
> Basically, they agree not to sue you (the Moonlight users), just if
> you use a copy of the implementation only as a plugin and the copy
> must be made between the period of validity of the covenant. In other
> words, they can pull the plug on that and can sue everyone they want.

Could be. To my non-lawyer eyes, that looks like nothing, though. I
mean, if that agreement didn't exist, would MS really have a case
against Novell and the Mono/Moonlight projects?

> I hardly think this is a good thing, even though the pure techonogy is
> better by now.

Well, for one, Moonlight is opensource while Flash quite certainly
isn't. That should mean something, no?

--vk