[arch-general] Moonlight 1.0

Denis Alessandro Altoe Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 12:22:24 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Amanai <amanai at freenet.de> wrote:

>> I gotta say, even with all the usual MS distrust that I've been
>> carrying around since MS-DOS 3.x, on the surface Moonlight looks much
>> more promising than the clusterfsck that is Flash. I'd be interested
>> in at least giving it a shot.
>>
>> --vk
>>

> This sounds mutch better,

Funny you say that... Looking over the Moonlight homepage, there is
the Microsoft covenant for not sueing who uses it. The first paragraph
is very "interesting":

http://www.microsoft.com/interop/msnovellcollab/moonlight.mspx

Basically, they agree not to sue you (the Moonlight users), just if
you use a copy of the implementation only as a plugin and the copy
must be made between the period of validity of the covenant. In other
words, they can pull the plug on that and can sue everyone they want.
I hardly think this is a good thing, even though the pure techonogy is
better by now.