[arch-general] silent fsck at startup

Denis Alessandro Altoe Falqueto denisfalqueto at gmail.com
Fri Jan 23 11:44:21 EST 2009

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM, Markus Heuser <mheuser at mi.fu-berlin.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> are you using the "quiet" parameter in GRUBs "kernel" line?
> This is what caused fsck to be silent in my case.
>
> The problem is that I don't wan't the extremely verbose kerneloutputs when not
> using "quiet". Besides, it also slows down booting since writing so much text
> into framebuffer isn't fast at all.
>
> So if there was a way to have both, the "quiet" parameter and a fsck
> progressbar that would be very neat.
>
> Markus

I was looking into the initscripts git history and found the commit
for that change made in 12/12/2005:

http://projects.archlinux.org/?p=initscripts.git;a=blob;f=rc.sysinit;hb=675e9d69d02233e0079672f6c10cbe07da3027ad

There is no information of bugreport or feature request about it, so
should it be sane to open a feature request to remove this behaviour?
Would anyone disagree?