[arch-general] Broke my system again - device-mapper & readline conflict - best way to fix?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Jul 11 01:46:26 EDT 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 08:41:36 pm Baho Utot wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 19:26 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Listmates,
> >
> > 	I have more fun in store for this weekend. After testing dmraid-1.0.0rc15, I had downgraded a number of packages that were installed from testing back to there normal versions but had left dmraid-1.0.0rc15 and device mapper from testing. Everything was working fine.
> >
> > 	Apparently some packages were moved from testing to extra or another normal repo because all of a sudden I began getting readline...so.6 error (from memory) on boot and was dumped into maintenance mode. In maintenance mode, I remounted to root filesystem rw and then mounted all the partitions and ran pacman -Sy readline (testing is disabled)
> >
> > 	After installing the latest readline, my box will not boot. I now gives a readline...so.5 error and never gets to maintenance mode. My question is "What is the best way to try and recover?"
> >
> > 	I have two options to work on the archlinux install:
> >
> > 	(1) the machine is dual boot with openSuSE so I can boot to suse and then mount the Archlinux filesystem (rw) under /mnt/arch.  I'm not sure what I can do here unless there is a way for me to manually unpack some pacman packages and overwrite the problem files on the Arch install in this configuration; or
> >
> > 	(2) boot using the Arch install disk. Here is where I'm a little lost on the recovery procedure. I can manually assemble my raid array after booting to the install disk, but then what next? How would I go about reinstalling the various packages from either testing or extra when I have booted from the install disk?
> >
> > 	Thus my need for help. What say the experts? How best to go about fixing the device-mapper readline conflict?
> >

> I am using bash as my shell and I was bitten by this bed bug as well.
>
> This is how I fixed it....
>
> Fetch bash from an archlinux repos
>
> put the bash package some place where you can get to it
>
> boot from arch install/live cd
>
> chroot to the broken system
>
> pacman -U bash......
>
> reboot

Baho, thanks.

	Here is my plan. My laptop is also running arch, testing, kde4, so I did a system update and I have rsync'ed the pacman/pkg files to my openSuSE server where the arch filesttem Arch server where the dmraid issue is occurring. I'll boot from the CD, chroot my filesystem and then just pacman -Su to install all of the updated packages and then it should be fixed (and if it's not, I'm too tired to jack with it for the rest of the night, so it will be tomorrow before I know whether I will have the dev-mapper readline issues solved
--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC