[arch-general] Broke my system again - device-mapper & readline conflict - best way to fix?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Jul 11 15:20:15 EDT 2009

On Friday 10 July 2009 08:41:36 pm Baho Utot wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 19:26 -0500, David C. Rankin wrote:
> > Listmates,
> >
> > 	I have more fun in store for this weekend. After testing dmraid-1.0.0rc15, I had downgraded a number of packages that were installed from testing back to there normal versions but had left dmraid-1.0.0rc15 and device mapper from testing. Everything was working fine.
> >
> > 	Apparently some packages were moved from testing to extra or another normal repo because all of a sudden I began getting readline...so.6 error (from memory) on boot and was dumped into maintenance mode. In maintenance mode, I remounted to root filesystem rw and then mounted all the partitions and ran pacman -Sy readline (testing is disabled)
> >
> > 	After installing the latest readline, my box will not boot. I now gives a readline...so.5 error and never gets to maintenance mode. My question is "What is the best way to try and recover?"
> >
> > 	I have two options to work on the archlinux install:
> >
> > 	(1) the machine is dual boot with openSuSE so I can boot to suse and then mount the Archlinux filesystem (rw) under /mnt/arch.  I'm not sure what I can do here unless there is a way for me to manually unpack some pacman packages and overwrite the problem files on the Arch install in this configuration; or
> >
> > 	(2) boot using the Arch install disk. Here is where I'm a little lost on the recovery procedure. I can manually assemble my raid array after booting to the install disk, but then what next? How would I go about reinstalling the various packages from either testing or extra when I have booted from the install disk?
> >
> > 	Thus my need for help. What say the experts? How best to go about fixing the device-mapper readline conflict?
> >

> I am using bash as my shell and I was bitten by this bed bug as well.
>
> This is how I fixed it....
>
> Fetch bash from an archlinux repos
>
> put the bash package some place where you can get to it
>
> boot from arch install/live cd
>
> chroot to the broken system
>
> pacman -U bash......
>
> reboot

Baho, all:

	Err.. My system is still broken and I can't figure out how to get around the readline error. I should have thought about this before going through the trouble of trying to set up the chroot to install bash, but the error I get when I try to execute chroot is thee *same* error I was getting when I tried to boot the system anyway. To try and recover, I booted from the install CD and then logged in as root. Here is how I set up to create the chroot environment and the error I received:

modprobe dm_mod
modprobe sata_sil (or whatever chipset driver you need)
dmraid -ay
mkdir -p /mnt/rscu
mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdi5 /mnt/rscu
mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdi6 /mnt/rscu/boot
mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdi7 /mnt/rscu/home
mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdi9 /mnt/rscu/var
mount /dev/mapper/nvidia_ecaejfdi10 /mnt/rscu/srv
cd /mnt/rscu
mount -o bind /dev dev
mount -o bind /proc proc
mount -o bind /sys sys
chroot .

	The error message:

/bin/bash: error while loading shared libraries: libreadline.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

	How do I get around the libreadline error?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC