[arch-general] X server freeze on logout (WAS: Re: latest updates broke kde3, kde4, twm & console login ability)

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 14 09:43:58 EDT 2009

Rafa Griman schrieb:
> I'm also having issues with my intel gfx card on 3 laptops (Dell Latitude
> D610, MSI Wind and Acer ONE netbooks). When you hit Ctrl+Alt+F1 you get a VT
> but when you hit Alt+F7 you don't get the X (KDE 4.2 stable in my case)
> session back. This happens on all 3 laptops with Intel gfx card and latest
> updates :(
>
> EXA acceleration, no UXA (can't get it to work properly: when you log out from
> KDE 4.2 stable it just hangs there with a black screen without fully logging
> out).

You should really use UXA and KMS. The "hang" on logout is because kdm
tries to resurrect the X server and reuse it for the next login, which
is a bad idea as far as I have heard. Solve it by editing
/usr/share/config/kdm/kdmrc and adding TerminateServer=true to a
[X-*-Core] section, then restart kdm. UXA and KMS should work fine then,
and VT switching is completely stable with that.