[arch-general] 32bit chroot in 64bit guest

bardo ilbardo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 14 11:08:54 EDT 2009

I've got some packages to upgrade for both arches and I was wondering
if it's possible to run a non-native chroot and stop resorting to
virtual machines. Given that i686 binaries should be runnable on an
x86_64 guest, i just used mkarchroot with an i686-configured
pacman.conf, but I get a sudo error when it tries to run makepkg from
makechrootpkg.

makechrootpkg launches sudo only once, at line 202, and this is the
full command:
sudo -u nobody makepkg $MAKEPKG_ARGS || touch BUILD_FAILED

Now, why require installing sudo in the chroot (standard procedure) if
the 'sudo' and 'makepkg' commangs used are *outside* the chroot?
Shouldn't they be run through 'mkarchroot -r' to allow cross
compilation? Or am I missing something (as usual)?

bardo