[arch-general] About user signoffs

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Tue Jul 14 13:17:09 EDT 2009

Denis A. Altoé Falqueto schrieb:
> Hi all.
>
> I would like to know how can we, common and lay users, give signoffs
> on the packages that we use in testing. I know that arch-public-dev is
> read only for non developpers and I would like to help too. Can we
> send the signoffs in this list?

Yes please, do so whenever you can. Generally, you can reply to any
thread on arch-dev-public as long as you send the reply to arch-general
and personally, I appreciate such input.

About signoffs: Usually, the most important thing is that there is no
apparent breakage in the package, like a corrupted tarball or a binary
that won't even run. So if you use some a tool and its basic
functionality works, you can assume that you can sign off.

However, it is even worth more if it is about a package that has exotic
features which you use. Telling us that a rarely used exotic feature
still works as expected tells us a great deal about whether a package
has been broken or not.

Another thing is that there's some packages in core which no developers
use, but which must stay in core. One example is the new Intel 4965
ucode, which I don't have a single signoff for. For such small packages,
user signoffs are vital (otherwise we must move those packages untested).