[arch-general] reconfiguring vi to work like it did before the last update?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Jul 18 01:54:06 EDT 2009

On Saturday 18 July 2009 12:38:29 am David C. Rankin wrote:
> On Monday 13 July 2009 03:49:49 am solsTiCe d'Hiver wrote:
> > i think you're using [testing] and then use vi-1.79 which is nvi.
> > and not the vi you know which was a stripped down version of vim
> >
> > nvi behave like the original vi and not like vim. i think there's
> > nothing you can do about this
> >
> > to the dev:
> > why not rename vi package to nvi ?
> >

> I'm using what ever gets started with "vi"; looks like:

<snip>

> 	I'll go load vim and report back. Thanks!

WHEW!!

	All back to normal:

00:45 supersff:~> pms gvim vim vim-a vim-bufexplorer vim-buftabs vim-colorsamplerpack vim-guicolorscheme vim-matchit vim-minibufexpl vim-project vim-workspace

	Why did the upgrade to testing uninstall vim and install vi anyway? I recall that my /etc/virc was wiped out by one of the 200 packages updated, but I just thought it was the same editor that changed the name of its config file. What was the  update that did this so I can avoid it in the future?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC