[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 16:33:15 EDT 2009

On Sat 18 Jul 2009 22:11 +0200, Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Matthew schrieb:
> >Although you are correct, I do not think automatically fixing the
> >problem is a good solution here.
> >
> >First, I am not a big fan of the idea of package modifying a core
> >file. Secondly what will happen when a user reinstalls the
> >initscripts? If my memory holds me correctly the sed command will
> >fail which will cause the post_install() to fail, because the file
> >already has the correct modifications.
>
> No, all that will happen is ... nothing. And there is a difference
> between post_upgrade and post_install!
>
> I don't want to spend the next 3 weeks responding to forum posts,
> mailing list threads and irc rants about the same little thing that
> could have been fixed safely and easily! Do you?

Hah. It seems that Arch is turning into one of them user friendly
distros where things are automatically configured and all eh?

Really I think the proper thing would be to put out a notice that it
will be changed, give users a chance to adjust, then change it.

Don't bother answering those who are unattentive. Let them suffer or
choose another distro.