[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Matthew pyther at pyther.net
Sat Jul 18 19:09:02 EDT 2009

Thomas Bächler wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
>>> Loui stated it very well.
>>
>> I also agree with Loui. We've always tried to avoid these automatic
>> sed type things. I think a message and a news item should be enough
>
> It seems wrong to me to let so many people perform the same step by
> hand when we could have done it automatically and completely safe.
>
> We have to think about what's simpler here: Have a short and safe
> sed-line in post_upgrade, or have a shitload of users spend their time
> booting with live CDs and editing files because they weren't careful.
> This thing is a huge breaker.

What if the post_upgrade() message gives the users the sed command to run?

Who cares about the users? Arch has been a distro that is made the way
the developers want it, not the users. The users just reap the benefits
of all the developers hard work. It seems as if more devs care about the
users, especially the new users. We get lucky if you (the devs) listen
to us. So what if we loose 50% of the user base? Does that really matter?

Back in the day, the devs got their way. They listened to user input,
but more times than not they did what they wanted. They didn't give a
squat about the users. IMHO this was one of the qualities that made arch
great! And know it is disappearing.

It is sad to see arch turning into just another distro. The many things
that made arch great are dissolving. :-(

~pyther