[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Sat Jul 18 19:39:47 EDT 2009

Matthew schrieb:
> What if the post_upgrade() message gives the users the sed command to run?

Seems kind of pointless.

> Who cares about the users? Arch has been a distro that is made the way
> the developers want it, not the users. The users just reap the benefits
> of all the developers hard work. It seems as if more devs care about the
> users, especially the new users. We get lucky if you (the devs) listen
> to us. So what if we loose 50% of the user base? Does that really matter?

What the developers want, at least me, is not spend the next two weeks
being bitched at because philosophy forbids us to change a file
automatically.

> Back in the day, the devs got their way. They listened to user input,
> but more times than not they did what they wanted. They didn't give a
> squat about the users. IMHO this was one of the qualities that made arch
> great! And know it is disappearing.

In fact, it is not disappearing. I'll just listen to what you said, then
ignore it and get it my way. I beat you with your own logic, how nice is
that?

> It is sad to see arch turning into just another distro. The many things
> that made arch great are dissolving. :-(

Oh my god, Arch is becoming one of those distros that will actually
reboot after an upgrade.

Anyway, I will go with whatever the rest says. If it's really necessary
to be narrow-minded about our own philosophy, then I won't stand in
anyone's way. You see, my own computer still works - as always.