[arch-general] What to do about the "blender" package?

Lukáš Jirkovský l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 03:32:18 EDT 2009

2009/7/19 Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org>:
> Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
>>
>> Dear Arch Devs,
>>
>> I'm reposting this mail to arch-general because I was ignored on
>> arch-dev-public.
>>

> You can not post to arch-dev-public so your message was not ignored, we just
> never saw it.
>
>> I wonder what should be done about the "blender" package in [extra]. The
>> package hasn't been updated for quite some time (it is correctly marked
>> out-of-date), a few bug reports have been filed for it, it doesn't build
>> anymore and the package maintainer doesn't answer my mails. What can be
>> done in such a case?
>>

> So the package is out-of-date and the new version does not build?  Could be
> a reason why it is not updated...
>
> Anyway, the way this tends to be dealt with, is someone posts a working
> PKGBUILD here and another dev updates it.  If this happens regularly for a
> package, either another dev with take over maintenance or it will be dropped
> to [community].
>
> Allan

IMO the problem is that you (devs) use make to build blender which is
several years deprecated and probably no-one builds blender this way.
Maybe they've dropped support for it completely. I suggest using
SCons. Maybe you can reuse my blender-svn PKGBUILD from AUR, only
thing that has to be changed for this purpose is the part where data
is downloaded from SVN server.

There is one problem which I'm aware of with this package – it
installs blender executable in /usr/share/blender and adds wrapper to
/usr/bin. I'll probably move blender to /opt in near future.

Lukáš "stativ" Jirkovský