[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] vc/* -> tty* transition

Pierre Chapuis catwell at archlinux.us
Sun Jul 19 06:37:05 EDT 2009

Le Sat, 18 Jul 2009 23:29:28 -0500,
Aaron Griffin <aaronmgriffin at gmail.com> a écrit :

> And to be clear, I definitely do not like the pandering to users thing... if
> people whining about stupid shit gets on your nerves, stop visiting the
> forums and IRC. It worked for me! ( google 'eternal september' for kicks :).
> Pyther, I like your sentiment.

Same here. I'm just a user but I like to think that Arch is a distribution that gives control to power users, and that teaches other users how things work.

That teaching might require breaking the system of those that don't follow simple rules such as read the output of Pacman.

Moreover, I have modified /etc/inittab, and depending on what the sed does, it might break my system. I don't think I'm the only user to have done that. So, even if you go the sed way, you will need to use post_upgrade() to warn the users that you changed something, and probably create a .pacsave... But in fact, if your goal is to make the systems of people who don't know what /etc/inittab is work, why use sed and not just replace the file with a new one using tty?

Anyway, I second pyther, phrakture and all those who are against automatic changes to critical configuration files. And I think every post or bug report complaining about that should be closed with a link to the news post about the move from vc to tty.

--
catwell