[arch-general] Firefox on Arch - crash on exit

Tim Gelter tgelter at gurulabs.com
Mon Jul 20 13:13:19 EDT 2009

Tim Gelter wrote:
> Octavian Florea wrote:
>> Tim Gelter wrote:
>>> I appreciate the offer, but it'd be easy enough to do something like:
>>> alias firefox="killall firefox && firefox"
>>> What I'm looking for is an answer to why Firefox has this issue on arch,
>>> but not on other mainstream distros. Or am I really the only user
>>> experiencing this issue? (other than the couple of guys who responded
>>> saying that deleting a lock file or two solved the issue for them)
>> I experienced the same issues (in Kubuntu, though) when using
>> gtk-qt-engine. I switched to qtcurve and firefox closed normally.
> interesting. I too am using gtk-qt-engine. I'll get rid of it to see if
> that helps. For what it's worth, rather than using qtcurve, I'm going to
> use gtk-kde4-oxygen-theme instead.

Well, it appears that Octavian tracked down the issue to gtk-qt-engine.
I'm not having trouble anymore since removing it. The question still
remains then, why does gtk-qt-engine cause trouble on Arch and not on
Ubuntu/Fedora? I suppose that's a question I'll have to bring up with
the kdemod developers. Thank you all for your help!
-Tim