[arch-general] Where can I find the "boot" log to find out, what failed on boot?

Keith grndrush at gmail.com
Sat Jul 25 21:23:47 EDT 2009

David C. Rankin wrote:
 > Listmates, Seems like a simple question, but I've searched /var/log
and can't find a file that contains the boot history showing all the
"fail" messages during boot. <snip>

I rarely find 'fail' type boot messages in any of the logs. When this
happens to me, I use the following rc.local, which will pause at the end
of the boot process, *normally* preserving these messages:

#!/bin/bash
#
# /etc/rc.local: Local multi-user startup script.

# pause at end of boot before clearing screen
read -n1