[arch-general] How do I re-create a DVD from the backup created by vobcopy?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Sat Jul 25 21:50:53 EDT 2009

Listmates,

    How do I re-create a DVD from the backup created by vobcopy? I have searched and I have read howto after howto and I still am stuck. Between ffmpeg this, dvdauthor that, qdvdauthor this to, I'm confused.

    I have written a script to properly prepare the VIDEO_TS and AUDIO_TS directories and to parse the filenames and copy the vob files saved with vobcopy to VTS_XX_Y.VOB and place them along with the IFO files in the VIDEO_TS directory. I get that I'm missing the BUP files and that somehow dvdauthor is supposed to recreate them, but that is where I get stuck.

    When I try and use qdvdauthor, it tries to completely ffmpeg decode/encode the original vob files to another separate directory. Why? I already have the vob files under VIDEO_TS, they were just ripped, why decode and reencode them? Seems nuts.

    The files that I have from ripping are:

19:42 nirvana:/home/samba/video> find myvideo -type f
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-001-preview-orig.jpg
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-003-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-007-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-001-preview-zoom.jpg
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-001-preview-clip2.jpg
myvideo/tmp/backup.rip
myvideo/tmp/ifo/vts_01_0.ifo
myvideo/tmp/ifo/vts_02_0.ifo
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-009-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-002-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-005-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-001-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-001-preview-orig.raw
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-008-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-004-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-006-nav.log
myvideo/tmp/logfile.txt
myvideo/tmp/myvideo-001-preview-clip1.jpg
myvideo/vob/009/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/002/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/008/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/003/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/006/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/004/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/005/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/007/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-002.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-008.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-007.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-005.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-006.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-001.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-004.vob
myvideo/vob/001/myvideo-003.vob

    I have moved and renamed the files to:

20:44 nirvana:/home/samba/video> find authdir/ -type f
authdir/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_6.VOB
authdir/VIDEO_TS/VTS_04_1.VOB
authdir/VIDEO_TS/VTS_05_1.VOB
authdir/VIDEO_TS/VTS_06_1.VOB