[arch-general] how to migrate installs between hard drives?

edac val edacval at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 03:51:12 EDT 2009

Mike Sampson wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 6:25 AM, Will Siddall<will.siddall at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Roman,
>> I did try the tar method with the same results.  The only method I
>> could see working would be the dd, but even looking at the mounted iso
>> afterwards, permissions were not set.  I should be seeing at least
>> ownership by my username, or 'user #1000' but after copying (and yes,
>> with 'cp -a') it still returns root.
>>
>> Will
>
> This sounds weird. I have used cp -av to copy entire installs from
> partition to partition and from disk to disk many times in the past
> and permissions were always maintained. You mentioned you are using a
> ubuntu live cd to do this. Is there any chance your destination disk
> is being mounted with options that would interfere with permissions ?
> Maybe try the Arch live cd?
>
> Mike
#Boot LiveCD
#old_drive=/dev/sda
#new_drive=/dev/sdb

mkdir -p /mnt/{old,new}
fdisk /dev/sdb
mkfs /dev/sdb1
mount /dev/sda1 /mnt/old
mount /dev/sdb1 /tmp/new

rsync -aHvW --numeric-ids /mnt/old/ /mnt/new/
cat /proc/mounts  > /mnt/new/etc/mtab
grub-install --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/new /dev/sdb
reboot