[arch-general] how to migrate installs between hard drives?

Jonathan Brown jbssfl at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 29 21:39:14 EDT 2009

Yes I would dd (or ddrescue or dd_rescue - the rescues give you progress output) the whole drive, not the individual partitions.  Then just use Parted Magic Live CD or GParted Live CD and expand the partitions.  I've done this many many times without issue.. and usually you don't even have to repair grub afterwards...

Another solution is using Clonezilla (use disk to local disk), (which I think might even have a switch to expand at the same time but I've never used that option) and then use Parted Magic Live CD which has Gparted in it to expand.

BTW Parted Magic Live CD has Clonezilla as well so it's really all you need (I'm sure all the dd tools are on it too)

-Jon