[arch-general] Emacs 23 window resize on startup

Christian Himpel chressie at googlemail.com
Thu Jul 30 12:08:53 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 17:12, Edgar Kalkowski<eMail at edgar-kalkowski.de> wrote:
> Hi Christian!
>
> Thank you for this tip but I’m afraid it does not work for me. I executed the commands you suggested and they worked without printing any error (at first they did because of a typo of mine). The result is that my Emacs window now starts up quite small in the middle of the screen and the is almost (before the actual content is drawn) resized to a bigger size. But this also makes it appear not centered but rather asymmetrical somewhat left of the center of the screen.
>
> Perhaps I’ll try my luck on the Emacs help mailing list in a few days or so.
>
> Edgar
>

> Am oder ungefähr am Donnerstag, 30. Juli 2009, um 16:34:25 schrieb Christian Himpel:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as a workaround, until someone comes up with a nice lisp solution, you
>> can set the font for emacs in your ~/.Xresources (or whatever you call
>> it).
>>
>> For example:
>>
>> $ cat >> .Xresources << EOF
>> Emacs*font: Terminus 10
>> EOF
>> $ xrdb -merge .Xresources
>>
>> At least it works for me (and my tiling wm).
>>
>> Regards,
>> chressie

Maybe you haven't installed the terminus font?

$ pacman -S terminus-font

But you can use any other font, of course. An "easy" way to find out
what fonts you can use might be:

- open your emacs frame
- hold the SHIFT key pressed while clicking Mouse button 1 (in the
emacs window of course)
- select "change buffer font..." and a dialog window should appear
- in the "pick a font" dialog you can select a font (Family) and size (Size)
- if you found you favourite font, replace the "Emacs*font: Terminus
10" line with your favourite "Emacs*font: Family Size" combination,
i.e. $ sed -e 's;\(Emacs\*font:\).*;\1 Monospace 10;' .Xresources
- $ xrdb -merge .Xresources

btw. if your window manager does not include the .Xresources file
automagically, you should do a "$ xrdb -merge .Xresources" in your
.xinitrc or whereever

Regards,
chressie