[arch-general] Weird OpenOffice Disappearing Menu and Toolbar Text?

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Tue Jun 2 12:14:16 EDT 2009

Listmates,

	I have run into a strange issue with openoffice in Arch. I am using kdemod3 on
my Toshiba x86_64 laptop. All Arch packages have been synced and are up to
date. The graphics are provided by the radeonhd driver on an ATI M690 (x1200)
chipset.

	In openoffice writer, when you hover over the "style" "font" or "size" combo
boxes in the main toolbar, the text in the combo box disappears. The combo box
display literally goes blank.

	If you activate the combo box to see the list of styles, fonts, etc.., the
text is then visible. However, when you move your mouse up and down the list,
the text under your cursor disappears as well.

	I have also noticed the same behavior with the pull-down menu text although to
a lesser extent. Usually with the menus, only the last 1 or 2 menu entries
disappears when a mouseover happens.

	I have tried with and without compiz - no difference. Has anyone else seen
this behavior. It's a very frustrating issue to try and work with blanks in
your toolbar.

	I am also cc'ing this to the radeonhd list in case it is related to the
driver. I have the same setup (same laptop) with suse 11.0 with the same
openoffice version, but all is fine there. I am trying to determine whether
this is an Arch package issue, an openoffice issue, or a radeonhd issue.

	Since oo works fine on suse 11.0 with the fglrx driver, I think we can
eliminate it being an oo issue. That leave the potential of it being an Arch
package issue or a radeonhd issue. I don't know how to test to determine which
it is.

	Can anybody think of a test that could be run to narrow it down? I will switch
to the radeon driver and test, but beyond that, I can't think of anything else
to try. Any thoughts? --- Thanks.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC