[arch-general] Solved : Re: Light-weight SMTP "server"

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Jun 5 22:23:43 EDT 2009

On Fri, June 5, 2009 6:23 pm, Magnus Therning wrote:
> Mike Sampson wrote:
>> I have used msmtp. From memory it just consists of a command line
>> utility
>> and a config file containing the mail server you want to use,
>> credentials if
>> used, etc. Worked well for me. There are quite a few tutorials on the
>> web
>> about using it with mutt.
>
> It works beautifully.  I especially like the ability to have a per-user
> configuration together with a system config (that beats ssmtp).  After
> replacing dcron by fcron I can now get the cron-output mailed off the
> machine
> as well.
>
> Thanks for the help!
>
> /M
>
> --
> Magnus Therning                        (OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4)
> magnus@therning.org          Jabber: magnus@therning.org
> http://therning.org/magnus         identi.ca|twitter: magthe

Just curious, by the way:  msmtp isn't exactly an SMTP "server", correct?
It's really just a sendmail replacement, right?  (i.e., not a full-fledged
SMTP daemon, listening on port 25, etc.)

If that's the case, then I don't think I could use it to replace exim.  By
using exim on my home server (configured to relay mail out to my ISP), I
can VPN in to the server from my laptop and then have Thunderbird on the
laptop send mail using the SMTP server on 10.1.0.1:25.  A simple sendmail
executable on the server wouldn't let me accomplish this.

Exim works perfectly in this configuration, but it's really overkill for
this purpose, and given Exim's large and confusing config file it'd be
nice to replace it with something simpler.  But I can live with the status
quo if I have to.

DR