[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] [signoff] xz-utils and libarchive-2.7.0-2

Grigorios Bouzakis grbzks at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 14:58:10 EDT 2009

On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Roman Kyrylych wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 16:41, Dan McGee<dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Yes, it should. When I originally asked about adding lzma support, we
>>> brought up the fact that it would have to be in the base group.
>>>

>> Hm, I don't really see a reason for this, can you explain the reason for
>> me?
>> Here's my logic:
>> a group should not be required to have all dependencies in a group,
>> reason: when installing a group pacman installs all packages as
>> 'explicitly installed'
>> which makes it harder to find no-more-needed dependency in future.
>> Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, since I could forgot something
>> about
>> pacman while being inactive for so long time.
>>

> I agree.  It would also make the list of "base" and "base-devel" packages to
> select from in the installer much smaller.

This reminds me of my comment http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/12890#comment43722
with pacman. I dont know if this would make things more complex (from
a packager point
of view for the most part ) but it will certainly make the list smaller.
Please, if any developers feel like moving towards this, take part in
the discussion, or even start
moving towards this.
I dont know if have discussed any of these in the private list, etc.

--
Greg