[arch-general] Solved : Re: Light-weight SMTP "server"

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Mon Jun 8 10:32:19 EDT 2009

Magnus Therning wrote:
> David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>> Well, the way I have my setup configured is that all my email - both in
>> and out - goes through my home server.  My server uses fetchmail to grab
>> incoming mail from the ISP, dovecot to provide IMAP capabilities on my
>> server, and exim with smart host forwarding to send mail out.  A bit
>> complicated, I know, but this way all my mail is on my home server,
>> not at
>> my ISP, automatically gets backed up, etc.
>
> Still sounds like you don't necessarily _need_ a full-fledged SMTP
> server at
> home.  You can configure fetchmail to use `deliver`, which comes with
> dovecot,
> for the local delivery, at least if you are using per-user fetchmail
> configs.
> Then you have to configure all your MUAs to use your ISP's SMTP.  I
> assume you
> already have all MUAs configured to use your dovecot instance, including
> saving a copy of sent emails to a folder on it.

> Using a VPN is arguably easier when you need many to "tunnel" many
> connections
> via the same network/computer.  However, if your clients have SOCKS support
> then it might be worth knowing that SSH can act as a SOCKS proxy.
>
> Note that I'm not saying you should modify your setup in any way, if it's
> working and you're happy with it then why "fix" it?  It's always good to
> know
> about the option though, right?
>
> /M

Good to know about the dovecot deliver thing - I hadn't been aware of
that before.  I'll probably just leave things the way they are for now
though.  Everything's working perfectly, and there's not really anything
to be gained by changing my setup.  I was just hoping for a simpler,
drop-in replacement for exim, but it doesn't sound like there is one.

Thanks,

DR