[arch-general] Solved : Re: Light-weight SMTP "server"

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Mon Jun 8 11:04:58 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 3:32 PM, David Rosenstrauch<darose at darose.net> wrote:
> Magnus Therning wrote:
>>
>> David Rosenstrauch wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, the way I have my setup configured is that all my email - both in
>>> and out - goes through my home server.  My server uses fetchmail to grab
>>> incoming mail from the ISP, dovecot to provide IMAP capabilities on my
>>> server, and exim with smart host forwarding to send mail out.  A bit
>>> complicated, I know, but this way all my mail is on my home server, not
>>> at
>>> my ISP, automatically gets backed up, etc.
>>
>> Still sounds like you don't necessarily _need_ a full-fledged SMTP server
>> at
>> home.  You can configure fetchmail to use `deliver`, which comes with
>> dovecot,
>> for the local delivery, at least if you are using per-user fetchmail
>> configs.
>> Then you have to configure all your MUAs to use your ISP's SMTP.  I assume
>> you
>> already have all MUAs configured to use your dovecot instance, including
>> saving a copy of sent emails to a folder on it.
>
>> Using a VPN is arguably easier when you need many to "tunnel" many
>> connections
>> via the same network/computer.  However, if your clients have SOCKS
>> support
>> then it might be worth knowing that SSH can act as a SOCKS proxy.
>>
>> Note that I'm not saying you should modify your setup in any way, if it's
>> working and you're happy with it then why "fix" it?  It's always good to
>> know
>> about the option though, right?
>>
>> /M
>>

> Good to know about the dovecot deliver thing - I hadn't been aware of that
> before.  I'll probably just leave things the way they are for now though.
>  Everything's working perfectly, and there's not really anything to be
> gained by changing my setup.  I was just hoping for a simpler, drop-in
> replacement for exim, but it doesn't sound like there is one.

Yes, I stumbled on it when I looked into server-side filtering.  The
one thing I really wanted, but wich procmail didn't support was
setting tags on emails as they are delivered.  Dovecot has support for
Sieve[1], and in version 1.2 they will have support for setting tags
using it (I am currently running a slightly old RC).

/M

[1]: http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA/Sieve