[arch-general] Light-weight SMTP "server"

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Fri Jun 5 16:04:21 EDT 2009

Magnus Therning wrote:
> Any good suggestions for a light-weight SMTP server?
>
> All email goes off-box to my ISP for remote delivery, I don't require
> any local delivery.  Things like exim/sendmail/postfix feels like
> overkill.  It would even be enough if all that's available is something
> like an /usr/lib/sendmail executable.  Is there something suitable and
> light-weight?
>
> /M

I'd use postfix. Use this basic main.cf for sending only:

queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix

myhostname = CHANGE.THIS.TO.SOME.RESOLVABLE.FQDN
mynetworks_style = host

home_mailbox = Maildir/

alias_database = $alias_maps

alias_maps = hash:/etc/postfix/aliases

# relayhost = [my.relay.host]

Comment out relayhost if you want to relay your e-mail via another server (for example your ISP's SMTP server).

Glenn