[arch-general] High fragmentation rate with ext4?

Cá Vàng clarious at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 06:40:20 EDT 2009

2009/6/11 Cá Vàng <clarious at gmail.com>:
> Hello everyone!
>
> As linux 2.6.30 is out, I decided to migrate my data partition to
> ext4. Hoping for better performance and less fragmentation.
>
> But, after format it with "mkfs.ext4 - largefile /dev/..." and copy
> all the file back to the partition, I got whooping number of 30%
> non-contiguous files! Then I reformat it with reserved block set to
> 10% (-m 10), still got the same fragment rate :-(

Some updates, I tested copy one big file (about 3.6 GBs) to the new
partition, and this is what I get:

(ext3 mount as ext3)image.iso: 31 extents found, perfection would be 29 extents

(ext3 mount as ext4)image.iso: 960 extents found, perfection would be 29 extents

--
My job: Writing buggy softwares to make the world a worse place for
humanity ( ゚∀゚)アハハ八八ノヽノヽノヽノ \ / \/ \