[arch-general] Openbox - great lightweight desktop, similar to icewm, but better in several regards

Louis Brazeau lbrazeau at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 14:18:09 EDT 2009

2009/6/12 Frédéric Perrin <frederic.perrin at resel.fr>:
> I'm surprised that in this thread, nobody mentionned FVWM yet. It's a
> bit "the great old one", one upon which quite a number of other WM are
> based, but it is still actively developped. It is maybe a bit bigger
> that other WM mentionned, but we are far from KDE / GNOME / XFCE.
>
> A great strength of FVWM is its configurability (don't forget it is
> coming from someone who uses emacs ;-). The default desktop is rather
> rough. Instead, you are expected to configure it to your linking. The
> behaviour of the WM is completely definable. You can have titlebars with
> ten buttons bind to any mouse button doing any action you wish, dynamic
> menu that fetch there contents over the Net, panels that swallow
> arbitrary applications. It supports UTF-8, PNG transparency and
> blending, binding actions to mouse motion (haven't tried this one
> yet...), Xft2 fonts, etc.
>
> It can be as silent or as intrusive as you like, just giving you a frame
> around windows to move them or a full environment that doesn't pity some
> DE's ones.
>
> There is quite a diversity of shots in fvwm.org's screenshots section
> (but the artistic taste of some is sometimes lacking :).
>
> --
> Fred

I've been using FVWM-Crystal for a little while and I'm not planning
on going back to XFCE (which i've been using for a coupe of years). I
too like FVWM (and FVWM-Crystal) configurability. Although it's a
steep learning curve at first, I managed to get the basics to my
liking farely quickly (thanks in part to the concept of recepies) and
I will do more tweaking as I go along.

For some screenshot you can check out
http://www.fvwm-crystal.org/screenshots.html

--