[arch-general] KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 17 01:08:30 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 23:51:19 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 06:43:13 David C. Rankin wrote:
> >         What do I do with all the :: Replace kdemultimedia with
> > kde-unstable/kde- meta-kdemultimedia? [Y/n] questions if I want to
> > preserve my kdemod3 install?
>
> No idea why pacman asks this anyway. If you answer "no" it wont work; so
> just hit enter here.
>
> Mixing with kdemod is not really recommend. See
> http://kdemod.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Repositories_and_Packages

Well,

	I'll probably just blow kdemod3 away if all goes well. Thankfully, I'm
installing this on a desktop with an nvidia card. I think my laptop would melt
down with its ATI card, no fglrx driver & desktop effects enabled -- I don't
think I want to find out. We will see how this full kde4 install goes on Arch.
I'm actually looking forward to it after my experience with it on my laptop
with suse.

	So far I'm 18 bugs into kde.org and counting in the past 2.5 weeks on kde4.
But kde4 is in reasonable shape all things considered. I just hope they make a
real honest push to get rid of most of the bugs in the queue before 4.3. Most
of the bugs really show the haste in which kde4 has been coded and most
shouldn't be in a .2 release much less at .3 release of a desktop. fingers-
crossed.

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC