[arch-general] KDE4.3 Beta - Rocks, still a bit rough, but very usable as a primary desktop

David C. Rankin drankinatty at suddenlinkmail.com
Wed Jun 17 09:00:32 EDT 2009

On Tuesday 16 June 2009 23:51:19 Pierre Schmitz wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 June 2009 06:43:13 David C. Rankin wrote:
> >         What do I do with all the :: Replace kdemultimedia with
> > kde-unstable/kde- meta-kdemultimedia? [Y/n] questions if I want to
> > preserve my kdemod3 install?
>
> No idea why pacman asks this anyway. If you answer "no" it wont work; so
> just hit enter here.
>
> Mixing with kdemod is not really recommend. See
> http://kdemod.ath.cx/wiki/index.php/Repositories_and_Packages

Well,

	So far kde4 will not even install. After starting the install last night and
going to bed. I woke to thousands of lines of:

/usr/share/doc/kde/html/en/ksnapshot/window.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/16x16/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/32x32/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/ksnapshot.png exists in both 'kdegraphics-
ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/ksnapshot.svgz exists in both
'kdegraphics-ksnapshot' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/bin/okular exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and 'kdegraphics'
/usr/include/okular/core/action.h exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and
'kdegraphics'
/usr/include/okular/core/annotations.h exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and
'kdegraphics'
/usr/include/okular/core/area.h exists in both 'kdegraphics-okular' and
'kdegraphics'

	Evidently kde4 saw and conflict with the kde3 packages and didn't install
anything. The last line of the output was:

Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.

	Talk about a bummer.... What does the brain-trust suggest?

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC